A person using a spirit level to check the horizontal alignment of a wooden beam.


A builder completes the construction of properties.

Two professionals working on architectural plans with a hard hat and tools on the table.


The developer is the owner of the land that is being developed; whereas the builder is responsible for carrying out the construction of properties.

Couple engaging in a discussion at a workplace with one woman gesturing over keys during the conversation.

Estate Agent

An estate agent advertises properties that are available to either buy or rent.

Business professional in a suit reviewing documents with a colleague at a workplace.


A lender is either a bank or building society that provides your mortgage loan.

Two people attentively listening and taking notes during a consultation with another individual.

Mortgage Advisor

A mortgage advisor is a person in a bank or building society that will take you through the mortgage application process and advise you on mortgage products.

A professional woman holding a document during a meeting with another individual across the table.


A solicitor will carry out the legal process of buying and/or selling your home. This process is called conveyancing.

Confident businesswoman with crossed arms standing in front of colleagues in a modern office setting.


An underwriter will make the decision on whether to approve your mortgage offer. They will consider the value of your property, the amount of your mortgage loan and your ability to repay.

Two individuals in a meeting, with a focus on a set of keys on the table, indicating a possible transaction or agreement.


A valuer will conduct an inspection of the property to determine its condition and suitability and provide a market valuation.

Adviser and couple discussing over a document in a well-lit office environment.


A vendor is someone who is selling a property / the owner of the property that you are buying.

What should I do now?

Now you know who does what it is time to find out more about the home buying process

Home buying process